Hi, I’m Natalie Gates – aka The Curly Gates. Curly because of the hair on my head and my loopy way of seeing the world. Gates because of my last name and my hope that this site will take you somewhere – or inspire you to go somewhere new (literally or figuratively). I don’t have many answers, but I do have a lot of questions which, sometimes, are just at useful. My goal is to inspire hunger – for food, travel, movement, and beyond.
Originally from Squamish, BC, I now live in Victoria and impulsively buy plane tickets at every chance I get. By day (and sometimes night), I’m a Media Relations Specialist for Destination Greater Victoria. At other times, I’m a freelance copywriter/journalist for a few lucky folks.
A few writing samples...
- The Financial Diet – How I turned loneliness into solitude
- Elephant Journal – YouTube yoga cured my fear of death
- The Navigator – A prototype for the people of Syria
- The Navigator – Founding a foundation: Biliary Atresia awareness
- The Squamish Chief – Squamish: Then and now
- The Navigator – The Third Tier: A look inside alternative schooling
- The Navigator – WUSC: From camp to campus
- Maclean’s University Guidebook: Vancouver Island University 411